Yesterday morning was a disaster. A true test of patience.
It all started when I wrote Ella's name on her bottle bag because we were in a hurry. This is typically Annie's job in the morning. Bottles go in a labeled Ziploc bag for daycare. And Annie writes Ella's name on the Ziploc for me every day. Well not thinking, I just quickly wrote Ella's name. Annie wanted to do it. She got upset and I told her she could write it tomorrow. Yall, I thought that was done, and moving on. No. From there she refused to get dressed, running into other rooms as I tried to "catch" her. Yes, she wanted me to chase her. And I almost did. But thought better of it.
This was happening at 6:50am in my kitchen. Ella was crying because Annie was crying. ((And because I have created a baby monster who can't be put down for more than 5 seconds.)) The hilarious thing is this all came about because I was "in a hurry". And the shenanigans took up more time than if I would have just let Annie write the damn name on the bag in the first place. Good ole hindsight. Everytime.
So what did I do?
I packed Annie's clothes and just moved the party to the van. Annie in her nightgown and Ella in clothes (thank god she isn't big enough to fight me on that). The drive to school was very calm. I thought… Ok, I did the right thing. Remove everyone from the situation. We are good. Let's get to school and change really quick. I won't even remember this going down on the way to work.
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Nope. Not so fast, supermom.
We pull up to school and I tell Annie it's time to change. That is when a demon came and possessed my child. Right there in the Primrose parking lot. As I opened her van door she screamed “NOOOOO!”, cried and threw herself to the floor. I managed to pull off her nightgown before she leaped over the center console and into driver's seat, out of my reach. Crying and screaming in her panties where the whole school and city of spring, tx could see and hear her.
Did I mention that we are family of the month at primrose? Yes, picture on the bulletin board and all. We are setting a perfect example aren't we...
What can you do? Parents were looking at the van while they were bringing their sweet, quiet, well behaved children into school. Probably wondering what the hell my naked kid is doing in the driver’s seat screaming at the top of her lungs.
I had two thoughts.. Bring Annie into school naked and embarrass her into getting dressed. Or leave her in the car.
Clearly, I couldn't do option 1. So I casually tell Annie that she needs to calm down. And she can sit in the car by herself while I bring Ella to her class. I close her door, go over to Ella's side, get Ella out and as I'm about to close Ella's door, Annie has a change of heart. "I want to get dressed", she says.
Hmmmm. ((thank god! I was sooo nervous because I literally had nothing else to go with)) So she gets dressed in an adorable blue polka dot dress with pink tights and gold shoes. Walks into school calmly. She got a compliment from her teacher on her outfit and she acted like oh yes, I picked this out myself and was so happy to put it on this morning.
Yalllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll. I asked Starbucks if they could add Bailey's to my coffee. Kidding, but I seriously needed it.
KK... YES! Where have you been? I'm in love with it!
ReplyDeleteoh her friend Laine taught her that whole routine.
ReplyDeleteI love when you write things and I can hear them being said in your voice....and this was completely one of them. First born girls...whatcha gonna do.
ReplyDeletewait this isnt the norm in every household!?!?!?! clearly i missing the big picture. so agree with sari, could hear you reading the words to me. love it!
ReplyDeleteKent's subtitle- "and I'll raise you Ella!"
ReplyDelete